Download the Linux From Scratch Book
Several versions of the LFS book are available for download, in several formats:
This is the latest released LFS book, well tested and mature enough for everyday use.
You may download the stable book in various formats from the stable book directory.
Note: This version of the book requires an existing 32-bit version of Linux. Adding capabilty for x86_64 hosts is a major objective of the upcoming LFS 7.0 currently under development.
This is the LFS Book in its current development state. Changes can
happen that break the build temporarily.
Not recommended for inexperienced LFS'ers.
Daily rendered snapshots may be downloaded. Or check out the book's XML source from our Subversion repository and render it yourself:
svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/LFS/trunk/BOOK/
Old and crusty. But still useful as an educational experience, or to see how LFS has grown over the years. http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-museum/
Get the LFS 6.0 Hard Copy
You can find information about the printed version of the LFS 6.0 book on the contribute page.
Packages for LFS
LFS has a list of packages which you should download. Please use the versions which are listed in the book; these are tested versions which are known to work with each other. In addition to the packages you will need to download some patches. There are several ways to download the packages.
Hunt and Peck/Freshmeat.net
When a package is not available from the location listed in the book, some other places to try are:
- A search for the full package name in google or your favorite search engine
- Debian Package Search Page
- Sources from your linux distro
P2P Networks are another good source for packages or the LFS LiveCD, depending on how many people have it available for download in their shared directory. If you have some bandwidth to spare, please consider adding the packages to your shared directory. Here are our P2P links:
LFS HTTP/FTP Sites
If the above methods are not available to you, the packages are also available in a tarball and individually on the following ftp and http mirrors. HLFS package tarballs and individual packages are also available on these mirrors.
- ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/lfs/ (Brisbane, Australia, 1Gbps)
- ftp://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs/ (Los Angeles, CA, USA, 200Mbps)
- http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs/ (Los Angeles, CA, USA, 200Mbps)
- ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/lfs/ (Corvallis, OR, USA, 100Mbps)
- http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/lfs/ (Corvallis, OR, USA, 100Mbps)
- ftp://mirrors.angelinacounty.net/pub/lfs/ (Houston, TX, USA, 100Mbps)
- http://mirrors.angelinacounty.net/pub/lfs/ (Houston, TX, USA, 100Mbps)
- ftp://lfs.introspeed.com/pub/lfs/ (Dallas, TX, USA, 10Mbps)
- http://lfs.introspeed.com/pub/lfs/ (Dallas, TX, USA, 10Mbps)
- ftp://mirrors.probonic.com/lfs/ (Dallas, TX, USA, 100Mbps)
- http://mirrors.probonic.com/lfs/ (Dallas, TX, USA, 100Mbps)
- ftp://mirror.cict.fr/lfs/ (Toulouse, France, 100Mbps)
- ftp://ftp.aliensoft.org/pub/lfs/ (Munich, Germany, 100Mbps)
- ftp://lfs.dontuse.ms/pub/lfs/ (London Docklands, United Kingdom, 100Mbps)
- http://www.torredehanoi.org/pub/lfs/ (Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1Mbps)
The download locations for the official LFS LiveCD are available on the LFS LiveCD download page. The packages for the stable book are included in the LiveCD and therefore don't need to be downloaded separately.